What is the best way to style your earrings to complement your style and your choice of outfit? There is no one right answer to this question. As you sort through your jewellery box, looking for the perfect pair of earrings to suit your mood and attire, you could be using one or more of several different criteria to determine which pair you will pick. Here are ten options you can use to coordinate your earrings with the rest of your outfit and accessories.
Match earrings with other jewellery
It is probably easiest to select your earrings based on other items of jewellery you are wearing or planning to wear. You may be undecided about your earrings but have a strong preference for a particular necklace, bracelet, watch or ring. With that in mind, all you have to do is match your earrings with that other item. When pairing different items of jewellery, remember that creating a close match is not necessarily the point. A little contrast can really help to finish off your outfit, as well as helping each piece to stand out. For example, pair a simple pair of studs with a bold, ornate necklace – the contrast will help to emphasise both. You can also contrast shapes and colours.
Coordinate earrings with your outfit’s
- Colour: When matching your earrings to the colour of your clothing, you can use a similar approach to the one described above: create contrasts so that various parts of your outfit stand out. On the other hand, you could also make eye-pleasing matches between the different colours, ensuring a seamless, elegant, well-coordinated style.
- Accessories: Of course, it’s always best for all aspects of your outfit to tie in together. Again, you can choose to match, contrast or complement – the choice is yours. Just be mindful of how your earrings, clothing, handbags, hats, belts, etc., all work together.
- Texture: If you are wearing a fabric that is heavily ruffed or stitched, ornate earrings are a no-no. Go with something simple and understated instead.
- Pattern: When it comes to matching jewellery to the pattern of your outfit, contrast is essential. Bold or ornate earrings will not pair well with an outfit that has a busy pattern, and vice versa. As a rule, if one element is bold and eye-catching, match it with something understated.
Wear earrings to match your attributes:
Just as important as coordinating your earrings with other jewellery or your clothing, you must choose ones that also work with and highlight your attributes:
- Sensitive ears: Some earrings are known to cause allergic reactions, usually as a result of nickel or other allergens being used in their manufacture. Choose hypoallergenic earrings that will be kind to your sensitive skin.
- Your eyes: If you want to bring out your eyes, statement earrings are the best option. Something bold and flashy will do the trick.
- Your hair: How you are wearing your hair is an important factor when it comes to choosing earrings. For example, if you are wearing your hair down, your earrings can go unnoticed, so choose a pair with sparkling gemstones to make them stand out. A shorter cut will match will with cuffs or jackets. When your hair is up, a pair of classic hoops would be perfect.
- Face shape: Be careful to choose earrings that work well with your face shape. For example, studs and triangular earrings work well with oval face shapes, while a heart-shaped face goes best with drop earrings that don’t taper at the bottom.
Go with your personality
Most importantly – do you! Don’t think too hard about the supposed rules of matching jewellery, accessories and clothing. Think about what suits your style and personality and choose what fits best. Who cares if the colours clash a bit? Make a statement wherever you go, and let that statement represent you at your best.
Ear Sense has created hypoallergenic earrings for distribution in pharmacies and other retailers in Ireland and across Europe since 1989. Our products are available to order direct to the public from our website, making us the number one source for earrings for sensitive ears online. Shop our range of stylish, hypoallergenic, nickel-free earrings.