If you have sensitive skin, hypoallergenic earrings are a great choice. Learn how to tell if you need hypoallergenic earrings here.
How Do you “get” an Allergy to Nickel
Nickel allergies are quite common. If your body is sensitive to nickel jewellery, you will develop a rash (contact dermatitis), which is your body’s natural reaction to the metal. Some people are born with an allergy to nickel, while others can develop it later on after years of using nickel.
Nickel allergies are diagnosed by a dermatologist with a skin patch test. Unfortunately, once you are diagnosed, you have to deal with the allergy for life. You will have to avoid contact with any substance that has nickel or you’ll risk bringing up the rash and irritation which can spread and cause further problems down the line.
Watch for These Symptoms
Not sure if you are experiencing an allergic reaction to nickel (dermatitis)? Dermatitis can occur within a few hours of having contact with nickel. If you find yourself with a rash after receiving an ear piercing, you likely have a nickel allergy. Even if you didn’t receive a new piercing or earring, you may find your skin sensitive or itchy.
Here are some symptoms to look out for:
- A rash near your earlobes (or your neck if you are wearing long, dangly earrings)
- Skin that is blistered or cracked
- Swelling or bumps on your skin (swollen lymph nodes)
- Red or purple skin
What To Do If you have an Allergic Reaction to Nickel
If you experience any of these symptoms, stop wearing your jewellery immediately. If you have mild symptoms, remove the jewellery and give your skin time to “breathe”. Infection can occur if you continue to wear the earrings so it’s best to avoid these types of materials in the future.
If your rash is spreading quickly or you have a lot of symptoms, consult a doctor immediately to confirm if it’s a nickel allergy. If an allergy is suspected, you can confirm this with a skin patch test. A skin patch test occurs when a dermatologist applies nickel to a patch and applies it to an area of your skin (usually your lower back). If there is a reaction, you’ll have to stay away from any material containing nickel.
You can use creams or consult a doctor for medications to help you with healing your skin, such as a corticosteroid cream and antihistamine, depending on how bad your condition is.
Hypoallergenic and Nickel-Free Jewellery is the Answer
An allergic reaction to nickel does not mean you have to live a life without earrings or jewellery. Hypoallergenic jewellery is a stunning and safer replacement for those experiencing sensitivity to nickel. Choose hypoallergenic jewellery for your sensitive skin when you have your ears pierced. Get rid of all of those nickel-based earrings and replace them with hypoallergenic earrings that won’t hurt your skin.
You may not know where to find affordable and sophisticated nickel-free jewellery. Here’s where Ear Sense comes in, providing you with the best choices for nickel-free jewellery and earrings for sensitive ears. Made from a proprietary titanium alloy, the Ear Sense manufacturing process eliminates irritants from the whole earring. Choose from our diverse range of studs, drops, pearls, and hoops for the whole family.
Give us a call for more info on how to tell if you need hypoallergenic earrings, or view our nickel-free jewellery range here.